This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 5 (The Myers Family). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Fact and Opinion – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Other Kinds of Nouns – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Fact and Opinion – Students take notes on the facts and opinions in the text.
• Fact and Opinion: Classifying – Students classify each statement from the text as fact or opinion.
• Summary Writing – Students write a summary of the text. They include the most important events in the lives of Walter and Christopher.
• Author’s Purpose – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the author’s purpose for writing the story. They support the author’s purpose with details from the text. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Author’s Purpose: Supporting Details - Students complete the graphic organizer, supporting the author’s purpose with details from the text. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• The Myers Family Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Sound Check Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How can people communicate through the arts?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Reference Sources - Students use the dictionary to define each domain-specific vocabulary word. They give each word’s part of speech, and write each word’s syllabication. Then, they use a thesaurus to find synonyms for each word.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Homophones - Students complete each sentence with the correct homophone.
• Spelling Practice: Alphabetical Order - Students write the spelling words in alphabetical order.
• Grammar: Other Kinds of Nouns – Students make lists of singular nouns, plural nouns, and possessive nouns. They then write those nouns into sentences.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 1:
Unit 1 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.