This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 6 (The Boy Who Saved Baseball). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Theme – interactive notebook
• Understanding Characters – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Theme – Students take notes on the central message woven throughout the story. They complete the graphic organizer to determine the theme.
• Theme: Supporting Details – Students support the provided theme with three details from the text.
• Analyze/Evaluate – Students analyze their own understanding of the story. They note any tricky words or phrases they find. Students use context clues to predict the meaning of the word. Then, they use the dictionary to define the words.
• Understanding Characters: Responding to Challenges – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting how the main character’s thoughts, words, and actions influence the way he responds to challenges.
• Understanding Characters: Responding to Challenges (Supporting Details) - Students complete the graphic organizer, providing details that support the way the main character responds to challenges.
• Understanding Characters: Changes Over Time – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting how the main character’s thoughts, words, and actions show how he changes over time.
• Understanding Characters: Changes Over Time (Supporting Details) - Students complete the graphic organizer, providing details that support the way the main character changes over time.
• The Boy Who Saved Baseball Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Persuading the Public Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How do the media influence people how to feel about events?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students use what they know about the meanings of each word to write a synonym for each vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: ie/ei Word Sort - Students sort the words, writing them in the correct column according to ie/ei spelling.
• Spelling Practice: Vowels and Consonants - Students choose their two favorite colors, using one for the consonants and one for vowels when writing the spelling words.
• Kinds of Verbs - Students rewrite each sentence, substituting the vague verbs with exact, more powerful verbs.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 2:
Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.