This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 7 (Do Knot Enter). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Summarize – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Verbs and Objects – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Text and Graphic Features – Students use the graphic organizer to list each graphic feature, the text accompanying it, and how the text and graphic feature work together to provide information.
• Summarize – Students write a summary of the text. They write the most important information from each section. Students are challenged to use vocabulary words in their summary.
• Figurative Language Cards – Word wall cards are provided for the figurative language terms: simile, metaphor, personification, and onomatopoeia.
• Figurative Language: Classification - Students classify each example of figurative language as a metaphor, simile, personification, and onomatopoeia. They explain the likely reason the author used the figurative language.
• Do Knot Enter Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions about Knots in My Yo-yo String. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• The Knot That Is Not Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How can math help you solve problems in everyday life?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
- Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete the sentences with the correct vocabulary words.
• Vocabulary: Antonyms - Students match each vocabulary word to its antonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Triangle Words - Students write the spelling words, one letter at a time, so that the words form the shape of triangles.
• Verbs and Objects – Students write sentences with a transitive verb and a direct object, sentences with a transitive verb and a direct and indirect object, and sentences with an intransitive verb.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 2:
Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.