This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 8 (Science Friction). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Conclusions and Generalizations – interactive notebook
• Characters’ Motivations – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Conclusions and Generalizations – Students complete the table, drawing conclusions and making generalizations. Students give the text evidence and their own experiences that influenced their conclusions and generalizations.
• Conclusions and Generalizations: Text Evidence – Students provide text evidence for each conclusion and generalization.
• Making Predictions – Students make predictions as they read. They note the page number and story events that influenced each prediction.
• Making Inferences - Students make inferences as they read. They note the page number and story events that influenced each inference.
• Characters’ Motivations: Character Trait Map - Students analyze Amanda and her motivations. They complete a Character Map, determining two character traits that best describe her, as well as text evidence to support each trait.
• Science Friction Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Growing Mold Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How can mistakes turn into answers to problems?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Antonyms - Students match each vocabulary word to its antonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Alphabetical Order - Students write the spelling words in alphabetical order.
• Spelling Practice: Creating a Word Search - Students create their own word search, hiding the spelling words in the grid.
• Coordinating Conjunctions – Students use coordinating conjunctions to combine two choppy sentences into a compound sentence.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 2:
Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.