This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 9 (Kensuke’s Kingdom). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Cause and Effect – interactive notebook
• Visualizing – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Cause and Effect – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting patterns of causes and effects.
• Cause and Effect: Text Evidence – Students provide text evidence for each cause and effect.
• Visualizing: Picture Summary – Students draw a summary of the story, adding labels and dialogue as needed.
• Style and Tone - Students complete the table, noting the author’s word choice and the tone it reveals. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Kensuke’s Kingdom Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Exploring Islands Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What can cause people to change how they feel about one another?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students circle the best synonym for each vocabulary word.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Words with –ed and –ing - Students sort the spelling words according to ending.
• Spelling Practice: Base Words and Endings - Students write the base word, the ending, and the rule used when spelling each word.
• Subordinating Conjunctions – Students rewrite the sentences by adding a subordinating conjunction.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 2:
Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.