Supplemental questions for six stories from Journeys © Grade 4 (2011/2012)* challenge your students to engage in some of the most rigorous higher-order thinking skills outlined by the CCSS and the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), including drawing inferences, describing character interactions, explaining the impact of main events on future events, and making connections between literary and informational texts.
Questions are based on the following stories, with 32 questions in total. All except questions for “Moon Runner” come in multiple choice and open-ended versions, so you can administer the format that best meets your students’ needs (multiple choice versions come with answer key).
• Stormalong (to be administered mid-way through the text)
• Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude
• Dear Mr. Winston/ Field Guide to Snakes of the Southwest
• The Screech Owl Who Liked Television
• Moon runner
• The Fun They Had
Aligned with the following standards:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy RL4.1, RL4.3, RL4.6
TEKS 4Fig19D, 4Fig19F, 4.6A, 4.6B, 4.6C
Perfect for use as literacy center activities, checks for understanding, exit passes, or STAAR test prep. All questions are written in a dyslexia-friendly font (Century Gothic).
* The stories on which these questions are based are included in Journeys © Grade 4 (2011/2012). The newer edition, Journeys Common Core © (2014) includes only “Stormalong,” “Dear Mr. Winston”/”Field Guide to Snakes of the Southwest,” and “The Fun They Had.”
DISCLAIMER: These materials were prepared by Sarah Kirchthaler and have neither been developed, reviewed, nor endorsed by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company, publisher of the original [component] work on which this material is based.
Thank you to Amir Hakim at Happy Doodle Class (https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Happydoodleclass) and Creative Clips by Krista Wallden (https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Krista-Wallden-Creative-Clips) for their clip art designs.