Journeys Spelling Test Forms and Spelling Lists for First Grade
Includes Handwriting and Journeys “Words to Know”
An ENTIRE YEAR of spelling tests and lists at your fingertips and all ready to go! Beginning with the Kindergarten Review and continuing through Lesson 30, this pack contains spelling lists and tests for each week of the Journeys literacy program.
ASSESS SPELLING: Spelling Test forms can be used for both pre- and post-tests.
IMPROVE WRITING SKILLS: Spelling tests include lines for a sentence to help students develop punctuation, capitalization, letter formation and spacing skills. Give your students a simple sentence and track their writing progress each week. This has helped my students think more carefully about their writing! Yay!
BUILD READING FLUENCY WITH WORDS TO KNOW! All of the lists and tests in this file include the high-frequency words from each week’s story. Students can practice them at school and at home, knowing they will be accountable to read them to the teacher on spelling test day. Words to Know are printed right on the spelling test.
I have the Words to Know for each lesson on large cards. They hang in our classroom through the week and we work on them daily. After gathering spelling test papers on the last day of each week, I set the class to work on their independent literacy practice and quickly call students back one at a time to read the high-fluency words from the large cards, flashcard style.
The cards then become our Word Wall words, allowing students access to the known words all year long. This has helped a great deal with mastery of sight words and with correct spelling when writing! Hooray!
Here is a detailed description of what’s included:
• “My First Spelling Test” pre- & post- spelling test form
• Lessons 1 through 15 pre- & post- spelling test forms, with optional bonus word (give a new word with the same spelling pattern as the assigned words for students to apply what they have learned)
• Lessons 16 through 30 pre- & post- spelling test forms, with spaces to assess TEN of the spelling words and use a tricky one as a bonus word
• Lessons 16 through 30 pre- & post- spelling test forms, with spaces to assess all TWELVE spelling words (no bonus word)
• Alternate versions of EVERY test, including the 2014 Journeys tests, with the sentence portion edited for greater clarity in grading. The title of the section now reads "Sentence" and instead of a "Handwriting" grade, this version of each test has a "Letter Formation" grade.
• Optional cover sheet to create a Spelling Book for each student to use throughout the year
• Spelling and Words to Know lists to use at school or send home (two lists per page) beginning with the Kindergarten Review and continuing through Lesson 30, including lists for 2014 & 2017 Journeys.
Streamline your year, save tons of time, and help your students build spelling accuracy, polish their writing skills and master sight words, too!
**UPDATE: Includes lists and tests that match the 2014 and 2017 versions of Journeys (with 12 spelling words on lesson 20, and different Words to Know for lessons 21, 24, and 29).**
Created by Heather B @ KidsAtWork365
Fonts by Jen Jones
Graphics copyright Scrappin Doodles (license# & link on end page of file)
Each license purchased is for single classroom use. When your colleagues and coworkers love your fabulous spelling tools, please purchase additional licenses or refer them to my shop. Sharing or distributing this file or any portion thereof in any form is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your honesty!
REMEMBER: You can earn TPT credits by reviewing your purchases! I read EVERY comment (seriously, every single one!), and your feedback helps me create products you and your students need. Take a moment after using this activity to write a quick review, and start earning credits that work like cash on TPT! Yippee! Teachers deserve all the free stuff they can get! Thanks!
A similar packet for Second Grade Journeys is now available!!