Your students will love playing detective during this fun and challenging activity. I use detective spelling during center time, but you could also use it for homework or morning work.This pack includes:
- Detective Spelling Decoder
- 1 recording sheet per lesson in unit 1 of HM Journeys First Grade. (Lessons 1-5). Every spelling word is accounted for:
Lesson 1- am, at, sat, man, dad, mat
Lesson 2-if, is, him, rip, fit, pin
Lesson 3-log, dot, top, hot, lot, ox
Lesson 4- yet, web, pen, wet, leg, hen
Lesson 5-up, bug, mud, nut, hug, tub
- 5 answer keys (one for each lesson)
1. Each student will need one detective spelling decoder (I laminate mine).These stay at the center week after week, minimizing the amount of center prep required! You could also choose to make the decoder into a poster to hang or give every child a copy.
2. Students will use the decoder to find the letters that correspond to the numbers on their recording sheets. They will record the letters in the appropriate boxes.
3. After students figure out an entire word they use the writing line to write the word neatly.
4. Students continue until all words have been solved!