NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the book.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from JULIE OF THE WOLVES. Either as a homework assignment or by allowing students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the book and understanding the story. Examples of clues:
22. Acute ANSWER: exact
26. Quell ANSWER: stop
28. Hostile ANSWER: unfriendly
31. Discern ANSWER: notice
34. Monotony ANSWER: sameness
35. Apogee ANSWER: top
FYI: I have narrowed the list of 50 words to 25 and included them on my JULIE OF THE WOLVES edition of Bookmarks Plus, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the story. The product can be found here. See list below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a synonym/antonym crossword over the 25 words. The product can be found here. See list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my fun and unique products over JULIE OF THE WOLVES! View all 17 in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: Julie of the Wolves edition—Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• Julie of the Wolves Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 238 questions!
• Julie of the Wolves: 50-word Prereading Crossword Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Julie of the Wolves edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Julie of the Wolves Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• Julie of the Wolves: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Pair with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• Julie of the Wolves : 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• Julie of the Wolves : 2 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords—Based on the Novel! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• Julie of the Wolves : 5 Fill In Word Puzzles—Trial and Error Workout! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• Julie of the Wolves : 6 Fractured Maxims Word Puzzles—Unique! Students rearrange “tiles” to form wise sayings that relate to the themes of the book. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• Julie of the Wolves : 4 Word Searches Based on the Book! Categories: Creatures; Miyax’s Possessions; At the Seal Camp; Alaska
• Julie of the Wolves : 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Names & Characters; Locations; Landmarks; Miyax/Julie; San Francisco; Wolves;
• Julie of the Wolves : 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• Julie of the Wolves : Anagram Crossword—A Spelling Challenge! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• Julie of the Wolves : 2 Vocabulary Crosswords—Fun Learning! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• Julie of the Wolves : 7 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Novel! Students decode thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• Julie of the Wolves : Figurative Language Crossword—Creative! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to approach figurative language
• Julie of the Wolves : 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
• Julie of the Wolves: Alaska Word Search Puzzle—15 Clues Students are “quizzed” on features of Alaska from the Avalik River to Juneau! Makes a great research project!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!