Ten Reasons to Buy The Jumping-off Place by Marian Hurd McNeely: A Book Study Unit:
1. The Jumping-off Place is a heartwarming and informative story about homesteading in South Dakota in the 1910s.
2. The Jumping-off Place is a Newbery Honor Book.
3. The Teacher's Page has objectives and a list of related online resources.
4. The Oral Reading and Discussion Guide includes chapter summaries, discussion questions, and vocabulary for each chapter.
5. Your students will expand their vocabulary by using puzzles, worksheets, word searches, tests, and a fifty-word glossary.
6. Comprehension skills practice includes finding details, sequencing events, composition, and a comprehension test.
7. Answer keys are included for all items.
8. Free digital copies of the 1929 edition of The Jumping-off Place are available online at the University of Pennsylvania Digital Library.
9. You can also purchase the new paperback edition (2008) of The Jumping-off Place available from the South Dakota Historical Society Press and other vendors.
10. The Jumping-off Place is an engaging book that will bring the American West of the 1910s to your classroom.
Please download the PREVIEW to see sample pages.