This research-based assignment expands upon themes and motifs presented in and related to Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton: Chaos Theory, biological warfare, resurrection biology, cloning, mass extinction events, deforestation, animal rights, predatory behaviors of the T-Rex, and more. Materials are delivered in editable Word Document, Google Document, and PDF formats. By completing this project, students will make relevant connections to the real world and derive a greater, more reasoned understanding of future possibilities. Included in this file are the following:
- Overview of research project expectations.
- A list of research topics relating to some key aspect(s) of the novel.
- A research preparation packet designed to facilitate information gathering, discernment of relevant information, MLA documentation, and organization of key details.
- A comprehensive standards-based evaluation rubric.
- Students will articulate connections between a research topic and an assigned novel.
- Students will conduct research using available resources, including libraries and computer labs.
- Students will collect and classify reliable sources, developing successful methods of recording information.
- Students will evaluate credibility of sourcework, taking into consideration readability, date, relevance, expertise, and bias.
- Students will correctly apply conventions of MLA formatting.
- Students will organize information in a cohesive manner, using a note-taking system that includes summary, paraphrasing, and quoted material.
- Students will analyze, synthesize, and integrate information, generating a thoughtfully comprehensive report, free of generalities and redundancies.
- Students will verbally present findings, using their own words and correctly citing sources.