“Just Once” is a short story by Thomas J. Dygard about Bryan Jefferson Crawford, known as the “Moose”. During his senior year, Moose wants to have a chance to carry the ball on his football team and get more recognition. Story takes him through his chance at his dream.
Activities Included for "Just Once"
The two coloring sheets can be given as a warm-up or bell-ringer that relate to the themes in the story.
1) Vocabulary activity with 5 unfamiliar words and 10 questions.
2) Characterization activities with character analysis of Moose and Venn diagram for character comparison.
3) Figurative Language activity with text dependent questions.
4) Conflicts activity with text dependent questions.
1) Theme activity for analysis of theme based on text
2)Summarizing of story based on SWBST strategy
Article – “UCLA linebacker Myles Jack always ready to carry football” written by JOEY KAUFMAN for the Orange County Register with discussion questions.
Writing Prompt for personal connection and story reflection
Answer Keys provided where applicable
17 pages in Unit including cover sheet and end page of further resources from Stanton's ELA Workshop
Want to earn TpT credits?
After you purchase, rate and comment this item after you've had a chance to use it. For every dollar you spend on TpT, you'll earn 1 credit. Every 20 credits you earn equals $1 to apply toward future TpT purchases.