This unit is teaches about the Winter Games and the host country South Korea. It connects well to the K-2 Social Studies curriculum, but anyone can use this unit.
These are the lessons covered in this pack:
1. Unit title page
2. Inquiry cards to record questions about the Winter Games
3. Describe facts about the Winter Games
4. Keep track of the medals won by your country
5. Locate your country and South Korea on a map
6. Describe the land of South Korea
7. Match Korean Symbols to their definition
8. Compare similarities and differences between your country and South Korea
9. Learn about the various winter sports at the Winter Games
10. Graph the favourite sports of the class
11. Write about which sport they would like to participate in
12. Sort winter and summer sports
13. Describe characteristics that are important to athletes
14. Describe the significance of the rings
15. Describe the Winter Games mascots
16. Make crafts of the mascots
17. Describe the Paralympics
This unit comes bundled with two files now--the original PDF version and an editable PowerPoint version. If you teach Social Studies in another language (German or French perhaps?) you can edit the text boxes on the student pages to meet your needs. The teacher information pages are not editable, but all the student pages are! You do need to have PowerPoint in order to edit the file.
Because of copyright, I have used the term "Winter Games" throughout this unit. If you prefer the term Olympics though, you can use the editable version of the file to change Games to Olympics. :)
I plan to update the pack for at least the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, but cannot guarantee anything after that.