There are few things as challenging or rewarding or fun to teach littles than WRITING!
I absolutely love teaching writing! I believe the best way to get students excited about writing is to write in journals. Students LOVE watching their teacher write in her journal and then share it with her class. Students love getting to see a little bit of their teacher's life through her journaling. That's how I begin to get my students excited for journal-writing... by sharing my writing with them! Then they become excited to write their own stories and they cannot WAIT to share their work that they are so very proud of.
This is what I use in my classroom to help guide students' journal-writing. I don't always use prompts, though. I will many times allow them to "free write" on a topic of their choosing.
Enjoy! And watch those light bulbs turn on!
Included in this 52-page unit:
- Writing Journal cover (B&W - black and white so that the children may color it and make it their own)
- Alphabet chart with long AND short vowels (B&W)
- Vowel Chart (Long and Short Sounds) (B&W)
- Vowel Buddies: Long Vowel Sounds (B&W)
- Digraphs and Blends Chart (B&W)
- "What Can I Write About?" Chart (COLOR - I use this for when children say "I don't know what to write about!" Problem solved!:)
- "Don't Forget" Chart (list of reminders - capitals, punctuation, etc.)
- Over 220 writing prompts!
- Includes topics for each month of the school year (holidays, seasons, social studies, science)
- General Personal prompts
- Creative/Fantasy Prompts (for silly fun!)
I hope you really love this unit! I know the kiddos do! :)