The “Pattern Blocks” activity packet is part of the “Math Manipulative Series.” Pattern blocks are excellent math manipulative that can be used for a variety of purposes and for a variety of activities and lessons. This packet includes 9 activities that all utilize pattern blocks. These activities span the grade range of K - 6 and are as follows:
- Using pattern blocks to fill in pattern block picture templates;
- Exploring angles and pattern blocks;
- Exploring the properties of two-dimensional shapes using pattern blocks;
- Creating symmetrical pictures;
- Extending symmetrical pictures;
- Creating patterns;
- Using pattern blocks to experiment with probability;
- Spinning for pattern block pictures;
- Fractions and pattern blocks;
This packet also has students explore how larger pattern blocks such as hexagons, can be made up of smaller pattern blocks. Students are encouraged to fill in pattern block pictures with a variety of pattern blocks (e.g., use 3 triangles to make up a rhombus).
This activity packet includes modifications for a variety of activities so that they can be used for a variety of grades. There are also some activities that are specific for certain grade levels (e.g., angles). These activities are fun, engaging and creative. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know. I would be more than happy to answer them. Be sure to check out the preview for a sample of a variety of pages from this packet.