This is a great lesson plan for rhythm and dynamics composition for kindergarten or first grade. Students will learn a simple ostinato using quarter notes, eighth notes, and rest to accompany the book, Snowball Fight
by Jimmy Fallon. Then students will explore adding dynamics to the ostinato. Finally, students will compose their own rhythm pattern complete with dynamics! Versions with traditional and stick notation are included!
Though this composition lesson plan was written to match the pacing for kindergarten in my district, it would be appropriate for 1st grade in many districts as well.
Included in this File
• Detailed (yet editable) lesson plans for kindergarten. State (GA) GPS Standards, National Music Standards, and National Core Arts Standards are marked. Feel free to edit for other grade levels (this lesson would work well for first grade in many situations).
• PowerPoint to guide the lesson - available in stick and traditional notation.
• PDF version of the PowerPoint for you to import into your desired IWB (Absolutely NOT required to complete this lesson!).
• Images for PERSONAL use to create your own variations with provided templates.
• Assessment papers for students to create their own snowball ostinato either with pencil and paper or with cotton balls.
Please take a look at the preview and feel free to ask questions before purchasing. The lesson plans are completely editable so you may adjust them for your individual situation. Additional items you need to teach the lesson directly as written that are NOT included.
• Pencils, Projector, non-pitched instruments, cotton balls (optional). (You do NOT need an IWB but I have provided materials for you to use if you have one).
Love this idea? Check out my other Literature Connection Lessons here!
Be sure to connect with me to get access to the FREE Resource Library!
Be the first to hear about new releases, product updates, and amazing deals and teaching tips!
Check out some of my bestsellers!
• Maypole Mania!
• Patriotic Sing Along
• Pitch Hill - Teaching Solfege, Teacher's Edition
• Rhythm Basketball - Get your kids bouncing to the beat!
• Rhythm Coloring - Great for Centers and End of Class Activities
• Rhythm Race Bundle - Music Center and Rhythm Game
• Recorder BAG Bonanza!
• Science of Sound - Detailed Lesson Plans, Experiments, and Presentations
Visit my other store, Pitch Clips, for clip art, digital papers, and other graphic materials!
- Stay updated on new products by clicking the green star at the top of the page!
For more ideas and fun:
Visit my website and follow my Blog!
Follow me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Follow me on YouTube!
Follow me on Instagram!
Teach music. Love life.
Want to earn FREE products on TpT and make my day?
I love hearing how products help you in the classroom! Don't forget to leave feedback on items you've purchased - you earn 1 TpT credit for every dollar spent on TpT. These really add up!!
Should you have any questions, concerns, or requests, please contact me before leaving feedback at email@example.com
. I want to ensure you have a wonderful experience with my products and my store!