Are your students spiralling out when it comes to key signatures? This fun play on the circle of fifths should help get it under control.
Signature Spiral is all about recognising key signatures, and there’s no way to win if they don’t know them. Accuracy is “key”!
HOW TO PLAY
- Place a game counter for each player on the "start here" space and place the cards face down in a pile beside the board.
- Players take turns to draw a card and move forward to that key signature space (the closest one).
- If a player cannot correctly name the key signature on the card, they must move back to the closest C behind them.
- The winner is the first to reach the F space at the centre of the spiral.
- Print out the game board (pages 3-4). Cut along the dotted lines, laminate if desired and tape the board together.
- Print out the game cards (pages 5-10) double sided. Cut the cards along the dotted lines and laminate if desired.
- You will also need a game counter (button, small toy, eraser, etc.) for each player.
This spiralling circle of fifths teaches reinforces all the major keys. Students practice identifying the key signatures as they move around the board, and get really comfortable recognising them at a glance.
Theory Concepts Covered: Key signatures
Student Level: Intermediate/grade 3-4
Activity type: Board game
Number of players: 2-6 players
Seasonal: Not season specific