Kick Start Kindergarten is a collection of resources for little learners. These printable worksheets and activities are designed to help younger students learn and master their letters, sounds, sight words, numbers, shapes, colors, and other basic skills that are essential to Pre-K and Kindergarten curriculums.
This set of activity sheets focuses on phonemes, or "sounding out" words. Students will review consonant and vowel sounds and use those skills to sound out words, fill in letters to missing words, and build picture words from scratch. Consonant and vowel sound variants are also introduced, as well as digraphs, r-controlled vowels, and diphthongs. There are final review sheets on "special sounds" that gives students the chance to practice a culmination of the phoneme skills introduced in the activity sheets.
- Sounding Out Words
- 14 worksheets consisting of simple "sound-out" words in which students match a word to a picture – NOTE: the words in these worksheets are cumulative and correlate to the letter progression in McGraw-Hill's Treasures/Wonders curriculum
- Word Families
- 6 worksheets that utilize word families and ask students to build words to match pictures within a given word family – NOTE: the word families also correlate to the Treasures/Wonders curriculum; see the Preview File for a list of the word families used
- Building Words
- 6 worksheets in which students sound out a picture word, identify the missing letter from a list of choices and then write the missing letter to build the word
- Word Scramble
- 6 worksheets that ask students to sound out a 3-4 letter picture word and unscramble a list of letters to build and write the word
- Short Vowels – Write
- 6 worksheets that ask students to write the medial short-vowel sound to complete a picture word
- Consonant Sound Variants
- 6 worksheets (2 activities per page) that help students discover the different sounds made by each consonant (Ex. the /r/ sound can be made using "r" as in right AND by using "wr" as in write); students write sounds in word-shape boxes to build words that match a given picture
- Vowel Sound Variants
- 5 worksheets (1 worksheet per vowel) that introduce students to variant vowel sounds (Ex. long /i/ can be made using "i" as in child, "i_e" as in bike, "_y" as in fly, or "_igh" as in high); students sound out picture words and fill in missing letters in word-shape boxes
- 1 worksheet that reviews the common digraphs (th, sh, ch/tch, wh, and ing) as students sound out picture words and write digraphs in word-shape boxes – NOTE: this is a review activity only; digraphs are introduced and taught in Kick Start Kindergarten – Set C: Consonants
- R-Controlled Vowel Sounds
- 3 worksheets that introduce students to the r-controlled vowels (-er, -ir, -ur, -ar, -or, -air, -are, -ear); students sound out a picture word, choose the correct word from a list, and write the word
- Diphthong Vowel Sounds
- 5 worksheets that introduce and practice diphthong sounds; students are given a picture word and must find the correct spelling of the word in a word bank before writing the word on the lines; sounds are introduced as "families" (Ex. "ou" as in house and "ow" as in cow make the same sound and are taught together)
- Special Sounds Spelling Words
- 6 worksheets in which students are given a picture and must sound out and write the word using various blends, digraphs, diphthongs, and consonant/vowel letters
There are a total of 58 pages in this set that can be used alongside any Pre-K or Kindergarten curriculum. Many of the worksheets can span Kindergarten and First Grade curriculums.
Please download the preview file to see a full table of contents and view sample pages of the activities and worksheets.