This Kindergarten Unit is focused on building the the understanding and the practice of empathy in real, age appropriate situations. The unit starts with two lessons that build the sub skills necessary for practicing empathy. Teaching the lessons in progression provides a solid foundation for students to be able to apply empathy to situations in their own life.
This unit includes four lessons and all the necessary materials to successfully teach empathy in your classroom. Each lesson provides approximately 20-45 minutes of instruction in the classroom and can be adjusted for different time frames if necessary. The lessons are fully loaded with ELD and differentiation support as they are integrated with the Common Core ELA lessons. We suggest that you teach one lesson in this unit per week during your regular ELA time.
The 4 lessons included are:
1. Name Feelings
2. Express Thoughts and Feelings
3. Explore Empathy using Thoughts and Feelings
4. Practice Empathy
1. (4) Teacher Guides
2. (4) PowerPoint lessons with an average of 15 slides per lesson
3. (6) Student activity pages such as independent practice, reflections
4. (4) Reusable thought and feeling cards for speaking and listening practice.
By the end of this unit students will be able to:
1. Recognize and name basic emotions.
2. Recognize and compare canine and human body language with basic emotions.
3. Build language by using multiple sentence frames to describe emotions.
4. Define thoughts and feelings.
5. Distinguish between thoughts and feelings.
6. Express thoughts and feelings clearly with a partner.
7. Describe diversity.
8. Imagine what it would be like to be in the portrayed situations.
9. Describe how they would feel in the portrayed situations. (practice empathy)