This lesson provides explicit instruction in practicing empathy with photographs and real kindergarten scenarios. The canine lens is used to support students in talking about social-emotional topics. Students will be completely engaged and applying empathy quickly using the canine and human scenarios provided in the Modeling and Guided Practice portions of the lesson.
This lesson is the culminating lesson in a unit on understanding of the concept of empathy and be able to apply it in daily situations. Please visit our store if you would like to purchase additional lessons in this unit or the entire bundled unit on empathy.
1. Teacher Guide
2. PowerPoint-14 colorful and engaging slides
3. Independent Practice Sheet
By the end of this lesson students will be able to:
1. Recognize and name the emotion that is being portrayed.
2. Imagine what it would be like to be in the portrayed situations.
3. Describe how they would feel in that situation.