This is a small beginning reader book that is great for the beginning of the school year. It's a great jump start to getting students to believe that they really can "read"! Getting them to believe in themselves is half the battle sometimes!
Students can read and color to work on the following Common Core standards/skills:
• Understand print concepts – left to right, top to bottom, page numbers.
• Understand print concepts –recognize spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequences of letters.
• Understand print concepts – words are separated by spaces in print.
• Read common high-frequency words by sight (and color words).
• Read emergent-reader texts with purpose and understanding.
• There are 2 versions of this book. The first two pages are easier, as they have rebus pictures. The second version is slightly more difficult because in addition to the high frequency words it has the actual word for the picture.
• This book is best if used in a small group to ensure that students color each picture appropriately. I find it helpful to have students color/highlight the color words in each sentence in addition to coloring the main picture on the page.
My kiddos love this book because they love to “read” it to me and then tell me all about how they read it to their family at home.