Also included in
- Handwriting, Phonics, and Word Work A Teacher’s Guide from Nellie EdgeWith lessonsPrintablesPractice activitiesHandwriting is taught in an authentic context: First, using each child’s nameThen, introducing words that have personal meaning to a child are introducedFinally, high-frequency sentence les$19.00$29.00Save $10.00
MasterClass in Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting
- Lessons, assessments, and guides for every PreK-1 teacher
- Literacy coaches can use for training, PLC time, or PD
- Students thrive with this program
- See these hard-working, self-regulated kids in action!
A MasterClass taken directly from a 2018 Live Workshop by Nellie Edge.
- Use this 192-slide, step-by-step Power Guide to incorporate proven kindergarten handwriting practices.
Why does Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting matter?
We have proven: if handwriting motions are not fluent, it interferes with the whole writing process!
· Best practices to teach name writing
· Reasons to teach fingerspelling
· Why research does not support tracing over isolated letters
· How to teach pencil grip
· What does good kindergarten handwriting look like?
· How to teach “Lift the Pen” motions and “Continuous” letter motions
· Eliminate b d confusions—lessons from Reading Recovery®
· How to integrate handwriting and sight word work
· Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting Resources
· Parents as Partners
· Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
· Much, much, more…
Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting is an authentic integrated approach that builds the writing brain. No isolated tracing over letters!
This MasterClass Intensive by kindergarten teacher-researcher Nellie Edge is designed for easy browsing or in-depth study.
- Photos show steps and growth
- Learn best practices with Common Core Connections and research
- Study this Power Guide to further understand Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting
- Literacy Coaches: Use this as a presentation for your kindergarten team
- Download as full-page slides or 4 slides to a page. Staple or have bound
Developed BY kindergarten teachers FOR kindergarten teachers!
Over 10 years of collaboration with master writing teachers culminated in this kindergarten-friendly approach to handwriting.
Documented on our action-research blog:
- Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting: 10 Keys to Success
- FREE E-Book, Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting: How to Build Fluency for Writing Workshop.
A multisensory, integrated approach to handwriting is the most time-efficient, inexpensive, and brain-friendly way we know to plant lifelong habits for good handwriting in kindergarten while building stamina and fluency for Writing Workshop!
Explore a proven approach to kindergarten handwriting that embraces the arts
· Differentiate learning
· Invite parents to be partners in kindergarten success
· Actively engage your students in drawing, handwriting sentences, and book making
· Teach with high expectations and an Optimal Learning Model
· Weave these strategies into your own writing framework
Make kindergarten-friendly handwriting strategies routine in your classroom
· Create multisensory memory hooks
· Use fingerspelling
· Learn handwriting action songs and chants
· Engage English Language Learners and harder-to-accelerate learners
MRIs of the child’s brain prove: Tracing over individual letters is NOT consistent with how the brain learns best! Copying meaningful words makes the brain work hard! Motivate young writers with authentic handwriting lessons. 95% of the words children write use lowercase letters: 90% of Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting uses real words and sentences.
You may also be interested in:
Click HERE to Follow My Store and to be notified of new Nellie Edge Kindergarten (PreK-1) products. All new items are listed at 50% off for the first 48 hours after posting! Leave feedback and earn TpT credits.
Find resources and support on my website, NellieEdge.com
SMILES for joyful teaching and learning,