The Monthly Reading Log for Young Readers is intended for emergent to early fluent readers to track time spent reading at home. This may be used as homework or as an enrichment reading program. The instructions read: "Color, sign your name, or place a sticker/stamp in each picture to represent a book you read (or a book someone read to you!). Please return your log on the last school day of the month. Remember to read at least 15 minutes every night!"
There are 20 circles for a night of reading each month. Suggestions for extended reading are to give a prize for early submission or turning in two reading logs per month. This is a great tool to remind parents to read with their students every day.
The Kindergarten Monthly Homework Calendars are aligned with the Common Core standards and get more extensive each month. Ten calendars are included for the months August through May. Each calendar has 20 homework activities total, and ask that students complete at least four each week (for a total of 16). Parents and students sign each box they complete and return on the last school day of the month. Send home on the first day of the month with or without additional practice pages and work.
Sample activities include:
- Write all lowercase letters in ABC order. (Sept.)
- Read or listen to a story. Discuss the roles of the author and illustrator. (Nov.)
- Skip count by 10s to 100. (Dec.)
- Practice segmenting five consonant/ vowel/ consonant words (e.g. “cat”). (Feb.)
- Practice counting to 100. (Apr.)
- Write one or two sentences about spring. How is it different from winter? (May)
Both products included are:
Kindergarten Monthly Homework
Monthly Reading Logs