We all know that assessments are an important part of teaching, but often they feel like such a burden! Time with our students is precious and this product was created to make sure that we get the most out of our time with our kinders!
This extensive resource was created to give teachers the tools to assess their students on critical literacy skills throughout the kindergarten year. If your district requires grades for kindergarteners these assessments can serve as your literacy grades.
These assessments were designed to meet the needs of each individual learner in your classroom and are not a one-size-fits-all approach. Students are assessed on skills only as they show they are ready through the work you do with them in small groups. The overview document will give you a thorough explanation on how these assessments are meant to be used, so be sure to give that a read first!
The preview shows samples of what the checklists look like. Some are stand-alone and others come with a student page. This product contains a developmentally appropriate checklist for 23 literacy skills!
All items are in PDF format. You will find:
- Overview of which skills are assessed in which reporting period
- Document with sight word assessments for all four quarters
- Documents for each reporting period with all assessment checklists (aside from sight word; see above)
- Individual Student Sheet for each student’s data folder/data binder
- Student data trackers for sight words and letters
- Overview of how to use
This resource contains assessments for the following skills:
- Rhyme Recognition
- Rhyme Production
- Name Writing
- Blend and Segment Compound Words
- Segment Syllables
- Blend and Segment Onset/Rime
- Isolate Initial Sounds
- Isolate Final Sounds
- Isolate Medial Sounds
- Letters and Letter Sounds
- Blend sounds into words
- Segment words into phonemes
- Phoneme Deletion
- Phoneme Substitution
- Blend CVC Words
- Write CVC words
- Digraph Sound ID
- Digraph Writing
- Digraph Reading
- Sneaky e
- Suffixes –s, -ing, -ed
- Sight Words (assessed quarterly)
- Letters and Letter Sounds
These assessments are based on skills that kindergarteners are expected to know, however, it can be used for Pre-K and First Grade students as well to assess where students are on the continuum of literacy learning.
If you downloaded this resource prior to August 2016, here are the revisions you will see in the new version. These are based on the first year of using the resource in the classroom and seeing what needed to be adjusted:
- What Is Assessed In Each Reporting Period?
o The previous version felt rushed, as it was a challenge to get the assessments done in the timeline suggested. The new timeline is more realistic based on the experiences of teachers who used it this past year.
- Literacy Trajectory Added
o This is an option to be used either along with or instead of the individual student sheet
- Sight Word Assessment Updates
o There were a few repeats in the sight word assessments, and they have since been edited.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License