Directions on using this center:
This center was designed to use with Kindergarten students using the following common core standards:
• K.OA.1 – Represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images, drawings, sounds, acting out situations, verbal explanations, expressions or equations.
• K.OA.2 – Solve addition and subtraction word problems and add and subtract within 10, by using objects, or drawings to represent the problem.
• K.OA.5 – Fluently add and subtract within 5.
However this would make a great center for pre-school, special needs students or those in 1st grade who just need a little additional help. This is also a fun and interesting game to play with homeschool students.
1. Give each student a game board (I prefer to copy mine on cardstock and laminate them to get the most use out of them.), 2 dice and a handful of fuzzy balls which can be purchased at the dollar store or any other store that sells craft supplies.
2. Have the students roll their dice and add the numbers together and place a fuzzy over the corresponding number on their game board.
3. Then have them write the math problem on the answer sheet. Once students have completed their answer sheet they may move to harder versions of the game, such as subtracting the lower number from the higher number.
4. For remediation purposes give the student one dice and have them use the chart as a number recognition game. I have included 5 game boards with numbers from 2-12 and 5 game boards with numbers from 1-6 for your convenience.