Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
7.84 MB | 60 pages
At my school I have a Kindergarten Mentor program where I train 5th graders to work with Kindergarten kids during the 5th grade recess to enhance their letter/sound knowledge as well as sight words. It is a voluntary program that kids commit to giving up 1 recess a week in lieu of helping a kindergartner. I have had great success with the program and the data to back it up!
To use this product, you would begin by gathering baseline data. In this product I have included:
• letter/sound assessment-student copy
• letter/sound tracking sheet-teacher copy
• word recognition-two lists; student copy
• word recognition tracking sheet-teacher copy
• editable Excel spreadsheet that has been conditionally formatted so that when you enter the number correct, the cell will color itself and alert you to who needs possible intervention and who is on the right track. The data sheet is set up so that you enter data in September, November, January, March and June. Great to use with parents and administration to show progress
2) Once data is collected, and it has been determined which students will benefit from extra support, you now have the tools to help kids succeed. Included in this product are 8 different ways or games to reinforce letter/sound and word recognition.
• Alphabet Playing Cards-4 games included with directions-letter/sound practice (also sold separately)
• Rhyme Time-4 games and directions included (also sold separately) to promote phonemic awareness
• Alphabet Card with activity to promote letter/sound and picture association (also sold separately)
• 3 sets of alphabet letter cards-lower case (2 sets); upper case (2 sets) and upper/lower case together (1 set) and 4 accompanying games for letter identification
• 1 set of alphabet picture cards to promote initial sound fluency
• “Snaggit!”-sight word game to reinforce automaticity of sight words (also sold separately)
All of these activities are easily assembled once you have printed on card stock, laminated and cut them out. They can all be stored in mailing envelopes (8.5 x 5 inches). I like the white ones myself. It is a cleaner look.
3) You now have to decide if you want 5th graders to become mentors or use this with parent volunteers, classroom aides or para educators.
4) Whichever you choose, you will need to train them on how to use each activity. Maybe you have a literacy coach or reading specialist who can train the kids or volunteers for you.
5) I would recommend using 5th graders. It is a great motivator for both the 5th graders and the kindergartners. If you do decide to go that route, I have included a permission slip that you can edit or make your own from the format I have created.
6) If you do use 5th graders, I have included editable 5th grade Kindergarten Mentor badges. The kids LOVE these! I take their picture and slip them into plastic badge holders and attach a lanyard. All available on Amazon-CHEAP!! They are expected to wear them every time they come to work in the kindergarten classroom and you never have to remind them!! The mentors commit one 30 minute session a week. I always have at least 20 kids who sign up each year so a teacher could have 2.5 extra hours of help each week! It makes a HUGE difference and the kids make amazing progress,
7) Lastly, there is are communication forms between you and the mentor or volunteer or aide. There are two forms. One is for you to indicate the area of need and what activity to use, and a place to indicate letters/sounds/word that need work as well as a place to indicate comments or additional information. The other form is for the mentor/volunteer/aide to give you feedback on how their work went with the targeted student. Using these forms alleviates questions and interruptions so that you can continue teaching.
I always keep all the activities in a basket with completed sheets so that the person who is working with the targeted student just arrives, grabs the basket and the student and gets right to work.
You will not be disappointed in this product and it will provide the results you are looking for!
Thanks for stopping by!