Have your Kindergarten students begin practicing mental math with this quick and easy "Problem of the Day" routine! I ended up starting this routine as prep work for the story problems that are on the Kindergarten IOWA test... and my kids just love it!
WHAT TOPIC(S) DO THE PROBLEMS FOR THIS MONTH FOCUS ON?
This set, for February, focuses on basic addition stories that can be solved by starting with the larger number and counting on.
(Scroll down to see the topics for the other months of the year.)
HOW CAN I USE THIS IN MY CLASSROOM?
You can use this however will work best for you! For me, this is a quick five minute routine that we do every morning.
My students really love some of the adaptations that we've done, including:
• adding their names into the story (on a rotating basis)
• using turn and talks (to explain their solution to a partner)
• describing their partner's response (to encourage active listening)
Check out the blog post
on the routine if you want to learn more about it!
HOW MUCH PREP WORK DO I NEED TO DO?
All you have to do is laminate, cut the page into four pieces, and go! That's it!
IS THIS JUST ANOTHER MATH JOURNAL?
You could technically use these problems for math journals if you want, but this routine actually involves no paper and no pencils! If your students take the IOWA test, you know that the test doesn't allow for students to use scrap paper to solve their math problems, so I use my problem of the day to focus on counting with our fingers and beginning to practice mental math!
WHAT TOPICS DO THE OTHER MONTHS HELP TEACH/REINFORCE?
Each month focuses on a different skill for your students to develop:
• August/September: Counting Within Our Classroom
• October: Counting Games (Number 0-5)
• November: Counting Games (Numbers 11-20)
• December: Counting Stories
• January: Basic Addition Stories (Numbers on Each Hand)
• February: Basic Addition Stories (Adding On)
• March: Subtraction Stories (Subtracting Numbers Less Than 5)
• April: Subtraction Stories (Subtracting Numbers Less Than 10) (FREE!)
• May: Addition or Subtraction Problem Solving
• June/July: Addition or Subtraction Problem Solving
CAN I BUY ALL OF THE MONTHS TOGETHER?
If you want to save more than 40% and have a whole year of math word problems ready to go, you can purchase all of the sets as a bundle here:
• BUNDLE for the whole year
A Turn to Learn