What you’ll receive:
This skill kit is bulging at the seams with engaging teaching tools. Thirteen kindergarten Common Core standards are demonstrated in this kit, along with seven first grade standards.
• Bellringer –Here’s a great way to introduce students to the day’s theme: dogs and ducks, while subtly teaching the “d” sound. Play this PowerPoint in slide show mode and it will play music and loop images until stopped.
• Video: Story Comprehension – A warm story of a dog named Roxy, who is saddened because she wants to befriend the ducks at the park, but they always fly away.
• Video: Parts of a Story- Challenges students to identify the characters in the video story, the setting and the parts of the story: beginning, middle and end.
• PowerPoint – In this story, told through words and photographs, Roxy coaxes her owner into making her dreams come true by giving her a favorite treat. Students are asked to answer questions about the story.
• Ducks/Dog Rhyming Activity- Which one rhymes? Students use signs to hold up their choice for the correct rhyming word. Does it rhyme with duck or dog?
• Story Retelling Activity – Ready for your close-up? Print out hand-held masks. And as a student narrator retells the story, little actors give a live performance.
• Make a Duck Craft- A little glue, feathers, a beak and expert coloring and what do ya get? A duck for the fridge, of course.
• Match the Number Card Game – Not exactly Vegas, but you bet students will celebrate their winning hands as they match up picture and number cards. Good luck!
• Maze Activity Handout- Help Roxy get through the maze to make some “amazing” duck friends.
• What Color Duck Game- Colorful ducks, all around! All you have to do is find them and name that color.
• Coloring Sheet- What can you remember about the Roxy’s story? What color was she? What about the ducks, sky and trees? Show me.