Reading and phonics worksheets, sight word practice, take-home books, and family reading games for beginning readers at Guided Reading level C!
As a Kindergarten teacher, I struggled to find literacy homework that was engaging and family-friendly. I also wanted to differentiate the homework assignments I gave my students. But I couldn’t find a way to do so without spending hours preparing materials!
I knew I wanted to give my students and their families tools to facilitate at-home learning. So I developed homework packs (like this one) that are designed specifically for students at a given guided reading level.
This homework pack is perfect for beginning readers who can read Level C books (with help). The take-home books will empower your students to practice their beginning reading skills at home. The accompanying games, activities, and worksheets will develop their phonemic awareness, phonics, spelling, sight word, handwriting, and writing skills.
These materials will:
- Provide you with a variety of literacy homework activities to choose from
- Help you educate parents about how to help their children with homework (through instructions sheets in English and Spanish, and links to 18 different optional parent videos)
- Allow you to assign activities appropriate for students whose families can support them with the homework, as well as students who must complete homework on their own
- Make differentiating homework assignments quick and easy (if you choose to differentiate)
- Give you 280 pages of materials that you can also use during guided reading and/or literacy centers
Here’s what this pack includes:
- Parent letters (in English & Spanish) to help you find out more about families’ homework needs, as well as educate and inform parents
- Organizational materials to help you quickly and easily differentiate homework assignments
- 10 take-home books written at a level B or beginning level C (so that students can read them without your help) + written parent directions sheets in English and Spanish, and links to brief videos with parent tips for reading with their child
- 11 literacy games or activities that families can complete with their children + written parent directions sheets in English and Spanish, and links to brief videos with tips for completing the activities
- 42 literacy worksheets that students can complete independently or with family support
The following skills are addressed:
- Beginning reading skills (Using picture clues and letter sounds to read, monitoring for meaning, etc.)
- Drawing and writing in response to a text
- Reading and writing CVC words
- Reading and writing digraphs
- Reading words with word families / simple spelling patterns
- Reading, writing, and making simple sight words (me, in, so, we, it, do, am, said, look, little, not, was - but there are also blank materials so that you can replace these with sight words of your choice)
To view a video about these materials and read the FAQs, please click here. Please take a look at the preview to see some samples.
You can also purchase this pack as part of a bundle of materials for levels A-C, A-D, or A-E. You can also purchase just the take-home books, or a set of family literacy games.
By: Learning At The Primary Pond with Ms. Lilypad