Create a treasure box for all the books students will take home throughout the school year.
1. Medium sized box (think winter boot box, big snack box)
2. Art supplies to decorate the box (construction paper, wrapping paper, stickers, markers, paint, fabric, beads, stones, gems, sequins, etc.)
• With your child, decorate the outside of the box. Somewhere on the box, write ___________’s Reading Treasure Box.
• Once your child has completed decorating their box, send in a picture for us to share in circle time or your child could bring their box in to share. When they do they will get a treasure box key. This will be a reminder to them about the keys to reading success we have talked about in class.
• Each week, your child will take home small books, songs or poems created in class. We have read these and they should be easy for your child to read independently at home. Keep these texts in their Reading Treasure Box.
• By the end of Kindergarten, your child will have a huge library of books, songs and poems that they will treasure and read repeatedly and independently to encourage fluency and comprehension.