This is a Kindergarten packet with 16 different literacy activities. This unit includes new CVC phonics, rhyming, and phoneme substitution activities as well as familiar activities that your students know from units 1-7.
1. Roll and Color – Write a word on each side of a cube. Students roll the cube, read the word, and color the space above that word on the sheet. There are 3 version. Each includes the 4 new words and 2 review words.
2. Roll and Trace – A step beyond Roll the Word, students trace each word after they roll it. There are 3 version. Each includes the 4 new words and 2 review words.
3. Word Art – Students can decorate the sight words of the week with any art materials you provide at the art center. Short sentences are also provided with review words.
4. Read and Color – Color each sight word on the page a specific color.
5. Read it. Trace it. Glue it. Draw it. Practice creating and reading sentences that use the unit sight words. 4 different sentences are included.
6. Sound Sort: Beginning j or qu? – Students sort the picture cards by beginning /j/ or /kw/ (qu).
7. Beginning /j/ or /kw/ (qu) Sheets – Students mark whether they hear the beginning /j/ or /kw/ (qu) sound in each pictured word. Advanced students can write the whole word. Can be used as assessment.
8. Sound Sort: Beginning /y/ or /z/? Students sort the picture cards by beginning /y/ or /z/.
9. Beginning /y/ or /z/ Sheets – Students mark whether they hear the /y/ or /z/ sound at the beginning of each pictured word. Advanced students can write the whole word. Can be used as assessment
10. Make a Word: CVC Onsets and Rimes - Students choose an onset and a rime card and read the word. Sort the words as real words or nonsense words. Optional: Use the recording sheet to record real and nonsense words. Can be used as an assessment.
11. Sound Sort Sheet – Sort pictures by beginning /j/ and /kw/ sounds. Can be used as assessment.
12. Sound Sort Sheet – Sort pictures by beginning /y/ and ending /z/ sounds. Can be used as assessment.
13. Find the Rhyme! – Practice with phoneme substitution and rhyme.Match word cards and picture cards that rhyme. Then write the missing rhyme with dry erase marker on the word blanks.
14. Write the Rhymes Recording Sheet – Students record the rhymes that they wrote in Find the Rhyme game. This sheet can also be used as an assessment.
15. Middle Muddle – Practice with middle sound substitution. Choose a word card. Then find a picture card that you can make by changing the middle sound only. Write the new word with dry erase marker on the picture card.
16. Middle Muddle Recording Sheet – Students record the new words that they matched in Middle Muddle.
These activities can be used for seat work, literacy stations, or centers. Enjoy!