Spelling, reading, writing, and sight word recognition all go hand in hand. They are all important skills our students with special needs are working on, but it is so hard to find already differentiated tasks that are prepped, planned, and ready to go. Well... it used to be.
Introducing a Kindergarten-level FULL YEAR
spelling curriculum with 3 levels of activities that were created by a special education teacher just for students with special needs.
How does it work?
This Kindergarten-level spelling curriculum will last you 36 instructional weeks and covers all of the sight words on the Pre-Primer and Primer Dolch word lists. Based on the ability levels of your students, place them in one of three differentiated levels and let my planning do the rest for you. This spelling curriculum is a systematic curriculum, meaning the students perform the same activities each week (because repetition is key for our students!).
What is included?
• 11 activities to practice spelling
• Week-to-week spelling lists for 3 levels
• Basic lesson plan guidelines for each week
• Spelling Scope and Sequence
• Instructions on how to use each set of activities with your students
• FREE Literacy Assessment Binder
• Click and shop supply list
What does ONE WEEK of this curriculum look like?
Take a look at the preview to see pictures of each activity and grab the first week of activities for free here
What are the activities and how are they differentiated?
• Velcro file folder (Level 1, 2, 3) - An effective and independent activity for any student to practice spelling their weekly spelling words. Use the specific how to file included to create your file folders.
• Word cards (1, 2, 3) - Use with the Velcro file folder or in many other ways: flash cards, ABC order the cards, matching, write the room... endless possibilities!
• Trace and Write (2, 3) - Students practice tracing and writing each of their weekly spelling words.
• Cut and Paste (2, 3) - Students cut out and paste to match their sight words in different fonts. All fonts are easy to read by students, but make the task a little more challenging.
• Daub It (2, 3) - Students color in the circles or use a BINGO dotter to color code their spelling words.
• Letter Scramble (1, 2, 3) - Letter cards with the word written at the top of each letter card that assists students in self checking.
• Qtip Spelling (2, 3) - Students use Qtips and paint to dot paint over each word for the week. Practice pages included.
• Dough Spelling (1, 2, 3) - Use the word cards provided to assist students in spelling each of their words out of putty or dough.
• Magnet Building (1, 2, 3) - Students can build their weekly spelling words on the cards provided or use the cards provided to help them spell the words on a magnet board. Two activities in one!
• Block Building (1, 2, 3) - Print the letters provided onto a sticker label. Put one letter sticker per block. Give students a few blocks with their list of spelling words for students to build their spelling words.
• Building Sentences (2, 3) - Cut and paste sentences that include basic vocabulary students are able to read. Includes clip art for common nouns and words students may not have mastered yet (examples of clip art: dog, cat, gem, house, pond).
• Magic Spell (2, 3) - Teacher writes each spelling word in the box in a white crayon. Student uses a marker to color in the box and find the words. Teacher (or student) writes each word in a box and cuts it out to paste and match it on top of the magic words.
You can also download the preview to see detailed pictures of each activity and to grab the first week of activities for free here
How do I know where to start with my students?
A literacy assessment binder is included in your purchase at no extra cost to you! It includes ready to go activities to assess, monitor, and trial your students' skill levels on:
• alphabet recognition
• letter sounds
• sight word knowledge (Dolch Word lists Pre-Primer through 3rd)
• Building sentences
By assessing your students with this binder (that is full of already differentiated tasks), you will then be able to look at the recommendation sheet provided to see where you should begin with each of your students within the curriculum.
By purchasing this resource early, you are receiving this curriculum of resources in a sort of "growing bundle". That means all of the "what's included" is not quite ready yet, but it will all be yours... and by grabbing it now, you're getting it for the lowest price it will ever be.
Have more questions?
Please send me a QandA or email me directly at MrsDsCorner@outlook.com :)
Connect with me:
Don't forget about the green ★ to follow my store to get notifications of new resources and freebies!
Thanks for Looking and Happy Teaching!