This Valentine's Day unit includes fun activities that you can incorporate into your February centre/guided group plans in your Kindergarten classroom!
This 88 page pack includes:
VALENTINE PRINTING MAT
- Print & laminate these mats and put them in the writing centre with dry erase markers! In colour and B&W.
Sight words on mat #1: a, he, she, I, in, is, it, of, that, the, to, and, was
Sight words on mat #2: love, we, are, am, see, like, can, look, me, at, my
VALENTINE SIMPLE SENTENCES
- I print & laminate these sentence strips and place them at the writing/whiteboard centre to encourage students to read and write simple sentences. In colour and B&W. Sentences included are:
- This is a box of chocolate.
- I see two flowers.
- I am making cookies.
- I like candy!
- This heart is pink.
- He is colouring. (He is coloring.)
- There are 8 hearts on the bug.
- The heart is in the envelope.
VALENTINES WORDS WRITING CHART
- A writing chart with 12 Valentines words. Perfect to add to your writing or whiteboard centre. In colour and B&W. Simple writing paper also included.
I LOVE YOU TO PIECES
- Have students tear construction paper and cover the heart. Then have the students trace and fill in the Dear: _____, I love you to pieces and From: ________. (There is also an Dear _______, I love you to pieces and From, _________. version) There is a blank version included with just the heart so that your higher students can write the greeting, message and closing on their own.
I LOVE HEART BOOKLETS
- Print these pages on red or pink cardstock and staple it to blank white paper. Staple the top left corner of each heart as well before cutting them out to make heart shaped mini books. Then have the students write "I love _____" sentences inside the booklets.
LOVE, SPLAT WRITING PAPER
- Read Love, Splat by Rob Scotton and have students make a text-to-self connection to the book. The question is "Splat likes Kitten more than fish sticks and ice-cream. Who do you like more than fish sticks and ice-cream?" Fill in the blank, tracing and blank writing line versions are included.
THINGS AND PEOPLE I LOVE CLASS BOOK
- Have each student in your class complete a page and add the cover to the front. There is a pre-made cover and a blank cover. If you choose the blank cover you can have a student or a few students work together to illustrate the cover.
Once the book is complete read the book to the students and then add it to your classroom library!
- Have students make the letters with do-a-dot markers or bingo daubers and read the simple sentences. There are 5 letters included:
- V is for Valentine's Day.
- H is for heart.
- F is for flowers.
- C is for card.
- B is for balloon.
VALENTINE CARD HELPERS
- Set these out at your card making centre to help your students write messages to their friends.
VALENTINE PUSH PIN SHEETS
- Print and copy these on copy paper, then staple on to coloured construction paper (I used red and pink construction paper). Have students use a push pin to trace the picture and the word. Have students remove the sheet to reveal the picture and word underneath! I have the students do this on the carpet so that we don't damage the tables.
Picture/words included for this activity are: card, heart, rose, arrow
VALENTINE CVC SEARCH
- I print and laminate the hearts and write the CVC word on the back with a Sharpie (this is optional, but a good way to make it self-checking). Then I toss it in my sensory bin with pink rice. I put the recording sheet on a clipboard and have the students find a heart, say the CVC word, find the matching picture on the recording sheet and write the three sounds they hear in the box beside it. Then they can flip the heart over to check their answer (if you wrote the answer on the back). The CVC words included in this activity are: dog, hat, cat, bed, bag, sun
COLOURFUL HEARTS MINI BOOK
- Have students read simple sentences and showing their comprehension with this mini book. Students will read a simple sentence (e.g. I see one red heart) and then colour the heart on the page red. Numbers to ten are included.
VALENTINE PRINTING (NUMBERS & SHAPES)
- Print & laminate these mats and set them out with dry erase markers.
- Page 1: 1, 2, 3, 4
- Page 2: 5, 6, 7, 8
- Page 3: 9, 10
- Page 4: Shapes: circle, oval, diamond, rectangle, hexagon, square, heart, triangle, trapezoid
I SEE HEART MINI BOOK
- I use these with my intervention students for practicing creating numbers and 1:1 correspondence. You can have your students draw the hearts, use heart stickers or you can punch our hearts with a heart punch and have students use those to make the numbers on each page. I also a page of hearts you can have your students cut out and use.
VALENTINE NUMBER WORDS
- Have students practice number words by counting the picture(s), tracing the number word and then writing the number word. Numbers 1-5 and 6-10.
- 8 patterning strips. Students find the piece to extend and name the pattern for each strip. I add velcro to the boxes to give the strips a more tactile feel.
- Set this printable out with Valentine stamps (you can find them at Dollarama, Dollar Tree, Michaels etc.) and have the students make 3 different patterns and label the core.
- Print and laminate the mats. Have students pick am addition sentence and place it on the READ IT section. Then have students MAKE IT with manipulatives and ANSWER IT with a dry erase marker. Addition to 10 with 2 numbers and addition to 20 with 3 numbers included.
You can see some of these printables in action on my blog by clicking here
I hope you enjoy using these printables with your students!
Please let me know if you have any questions prior to purchasing!
THIS PACK IS INCLUDED IN: Kindergarten Holiday Centres BUNDLE
PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE THIS FILE IF YOU ALREADY OWN THE BUNDLE!
• My Book of Valentine's Day Words
• FREE Melted Crayon Valentine's Day Cards
Looking for more? Take a little time to EXPLORE!
♦ BEST SELLING Editable Teaching Portfolio