A 25-week rhyming unit that includes the following:
• An interactive notebook
• Two-three homework assignments per week of the unit
• 5 differentiated center activities
• A color-coded rhyming word wall
• All recording sheets and manipulatives needed to teach the unit
The following word families are included:
a- at, an, ad, ap, ag, ake, all, and
e- et, eg, en, est, ell
i- ig, it, in, ing, ill
o- op, ot, og
u- ug, ut, un
The following materials are included:
• An Interactive Notebook- The notebook includes a cover with the title “_____’s Word Family Book” and a reference page with all of the word families covered in the unit. Each word family has two pages---one with space for a poem (I had to remove the poems because they are from a published Scholastic book. Here is a free link to the poems.) and another with a word family house. The word family houses have a picture cue and lines to record words from that word family.
• Word Family Picture Cards- Each word family includes 5 picture cards to use during instruction and with center activities.
• A Word Family Word Wall- The word wall includes all of the headers and 5 words per word family. All of the words are color coded to match the picture cards.
• Word Work Centers- There are 5 center activities included in this kit that are designed to require little prep work and foster student accountability.
o Word Family Hide and Seek- Print an extra copy of the Word Wall Cards. Copy the recording sheet and this center is ready to use!
o Write the Room- Print an additional copy of the picture cards and label each word family with the numbers 1 through 5. Hide the cards around the room. Choose between 3 differentiated recording sheets and have your students start writing!
o Making Words- Provide your students with letter tiles, copy the recording sheet, and this center is all set!
o Roll, Write, and Check- Add beginning sounds to one cube. Add word families to another. Copy the recording sheet and send your students off to distinguish between real and nonsense words.
o ABC Order- Write words from each word family on wooden sticks. Stick them in a jar and copy the recording sheet. Watch your students alphabetize their word family words!
• Homework- There are 2 to 3 weekly homework assignments for each word family included in the packet. There is a writing assignment for each word family. In addition, there is a reinforcement page that asks students to write words and sentences for a specific word family. Also, there are 8 color-by-word family activities to assign every 3 to 4 word families.
• Assessment- There is a recording sheet that can be used for assessment purposes. Hold up a picture card or dictate a word and have your students write the word on the line. The assessment sheet is adaptable enough to be used in many ways and at multiple times throughout the unit!
This is a zipped file. The first file contains everything but the picture cards. The picture cards can be found in the second file.
Thank you for checking out my product!