Inspired by Lucy Calkins and Common Core Aligned
Amazing Clipart has been provided by EDU CLIPS.
My approach to teaching writing is based on several research based strategies that I have implemented in my classroom:
• Lucy Calkins Narrative Unit of Study
• SIMS Writing Strategies (High Five Hand)
• Developmental Progression of the Young Writer
• Balanced Literacy incorporating Mentor Texts
• Each set of slides largely incorporates all of the above mentioned strategies
and is something that I have continued to tweak over the past several years.
• In addition, to the use of research based strategies, I have also included
mentor texts, anchor charts, and clear learning targets posted at the top of
each slide to reinforce its importance.
• Colorful and interactive slides captivate students and allow teacher to have
meaningful conversations with his/her students.
• Slides are very clear to both teach and students. I have created a balance
between the instructional needs of the teacher and a forum that is student-
• In other words, you can now present students with engaging, creative, and
exciting instruction that will create a LOVE FOR WRITING!!!
• 124 TOTAL SLIDES!
Instructional Focus/Learning Targets:
• What is Writing Workshop?
• What does Writer’s Workshop Look Like and Sound Like in Our Classroom?
• When I’m Done, I’ve Just Begun…
• How Will We Take Care of Our Writing?
• How Can I Tell My Story in Illustrations?
• How Can I Draw Something Hard to Make My Ideas Come to Life?
• How Can I Use Picture and Words to Tell My Story?
• Where Do Writers Get Their Ideas?
• More Way’s Writers Get Their Ideas
• The Author’s Chair
• Writers Sometimes Conference with the Teacher
• Writers Use Resources to Help Them with
• How Can I Stretch My Words and Write
the Sounds that I Hear?
• Turning Pieces into Scrolls and Books
• Planning Teaching Books Page by Page
• Getting Ideas for Stories and Practicing
• Adding More Details to Pictures and Stories
• Bringing Our Writing to Life
• Celebrating Our Writing