This bundle of kindergarten writing activities is just what you need for an entire school year of kindergarten writing prompts or writing journal. These daily writing activities are perfect for morning work, a writing center, homework or a whole class writing lesson. Each month progresses to help your kindergarten students build their writing skills throughout the year.
Here is a detailed list of the skills your students will work on:
- September – the objective is name writing - Students write a name and see that names are words made up of letters that are always written in the same order – students practice writing names.
- October - the objective is to be able to read and write numbers and number words – Students practice writing numbers 1-10, number words, and count Halloween objects.
- November – the objective is to be able to write all upper and lowercase letters so students can put them together to write words– practice with writing all capital and lowercase letters and write initial sounds of some Thanksgiving objects.
- December - the objective is to think of words that complete a thought and write them – Students read some simple sight words and complete a phrase by writing a word and then drawing a picture.
- January - the objective is for the students to choose words that make sense in a simple sentence - Students write the words to complete the sight word sentence.
- February - the objective is for the students to choose words that make sense and write them to respond to a simple writing prompt. Handwriting lines are included this month. Students illustrate their sentences. They form questions and use descriptive words. Valentine’s Day prompts are included.
- March – the objective is to write sentences – Each day students write a sentence to answer a question about a weekly topic.
- April – the objective is to write a story – Students create a “book” each week and illustrate it.
- May – objective is independent writing. Students write in their daily journals. They write about anything they want or we have added a packet with prompts if you prefer.
Get your kindergarten students excited about writing with this entire year of daily writing. These writing activities will allow the children to write quickly and independently every day. Use this packet as a quick write for your Kindergarten writing. Each month scaffolds for the next month, ending with the students writing sentences.
We have created these Kindergarten writing activities to compliment Morning Message, Daily News, Shared/Guided Writing, Writer’s Workshop or any other writing experience you provide for your students in your classroom.
What teachers say about this resource.
- Great resource! Easy to use and low prep for me! Thank you!
- I am loving this product! Thank you for all the hard work you put into this!!
- This is a FANTASTIC writing resource especially for the beginning of the year! I love that these are quick and easy to do each day.
- YAY! This will really help make our journal time easy! :)
- Love how the set progresses throughout the year.
Writing in Kindergarten is so important. “Emergent literacy research has shown us that children are not ruined by being allowed to write before they can read. Rather, they learn many important concepts and develop the confidence that they can write” (Cunningham, 1995, p. 25).
Thank you for visiting Pint Size Learners.
· How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases: Each time you leave feedback, TPT gives you credits that you can use to lower the cost of your next purchases. Please rate this product and leave feedback.
· Be the first to know about my new products. Click here to become a TPT store follower.
· And follow me on Facebook here to see fun giveaways and deals.
· And Instagram here
· If you have any questions or need help with this product please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org