Kindness Book Activities & Lessons - Read Aloud Bundle – How to be Kind
Products in this Bundle (5)
Also included in
- This Social-Emotional Learning Children's Book Companion Bundle includes 40 book companions on popular children’s books that relate to emotions, self-regulation, growth mindset, respect and manners, friendship, self-esteem and self-love, kindness, and empathy. ⭐Get ready to revolutionize your read aPrice $73.25Original Price $146.25Save $73.00
Teach kids how to be kind and promote acts of kindness in your kindergarten, first grade, and second grade classroom with engaging read aloud lessons and social-emotional learning activities centered around popular children’s books. Five kindness book companions are included: The Cool Bean, Spot of Kindness, Be Kind, Try a Little Kindness, and Kindness is a Kite String.
Great for your random acts of kindness week, February and Valentine’s Day, or add to your read aloud any time of year!
Children will participate in classroom discussions and book chats, share their ideas in writing and engage in fun activities that promote kindness, emotional awareness, and social skills.
Each book companion includes a detailed lesson plan, guided questions, anchor chart, concept posters, writing responses, and follow-up activities (printable and digital included). Great for distance learning or in-class teaching of social-emotional skills!
♥♥The mind+heart Social Emotional Learning Book Companion BUNDLE is available for a SPECIAL DISCOUNT. Get your entire year’s worth of popular SEL children's book (40 included) lessons and activities to revolutionize your read-aloud time TODAY! ♥♥
1. Be Kind by Pat Miller
This lesson teaches children what kindness means in a variety of ways. The activities help them identify different ways to be kind.
2. Try a Little Kindness by Henry Cole
The lesson helps kids learn to identify and describe simple ways to be kind. They will understand that we can be kind in how we act and help, and what we do and say.
3. A Little Spot of Kindness by Diane Alber
This lesson helps us understand that we can spot opportunities to act with kindness. Kids will also learn synonyms for kindness and that kindness is many things.
4. The Cool Bean by John Jory & Pete Oswald
This lesson teaches kids what it really means to be cool. They will learn that being cool is more than how they look. It’s about how they act with kindness.
5. Kindness is a Kite String by Michelle Schaub
This lesson helps us understand that kindness is something we can pass on. Kids will think of simple ways to spread kindness to others.
Included in this jam-packed SEL Kindness book companion pack:
- Lessons and activities that focus on 5 Children’s books related to being kind and performing random acts of kindness
- Each book companion comes with a detailed lesson plan, book chat cards to guide a discussion, anchor chart, and book response
- 4 follow-up activities are included for every book (many in digital format)
- Book companion guide with safe links for easy viewing
- Google Slides ready for use in Google Classroom
- Images for use in Seesaw
- Interactive PowerPoint file of the digital templates for use in your preferred platform
**Check out the detailed PREVIEW for a thorough look into what this resource includes!**
There is a detailed lesson plan for each book with “Book Chat” cards and questions to guide your discussion before, during, and after reading. An interactive anchor chart and writing activity are included that focus on the social-emotional skill presented in the book and encourage children to express their thinking. This is an excellent way to incorporate social-emotional learning into your ELA block each week!
Each book comes with 4 follow-up activities to build upon the book’s social-emotional lesson. A fun variety of activities are included for independent, partner, and small group use. These high-interest activities are a great way to extend the book’s discussion and build the social-emotional skills kids need!
Book companions come with a digital anchor chart or interactive poster slides, writing template, and additional digital activities. These are ready in Google Slides™ for use in Google Classroom™. You will be provided with instructions on how to access and a link to create a copy. The digital pages are great for use during remote teaching, distance learning, and in a one-to-one classroom!
Suggestions on How to Use:
- Each lesson starts with a book chat that continues during and after reading a book. There are questions included to guide your discussion.
- There is an anchor chart idea provided to enhance the book’s lesson.
- A follow-up writing activity can be used to extend the discussion.
- There are 4 activities for each children’s book. Some include digital options.
- I suggest reading 1 book per week and doing the lesson. Use the extra activities to reinforce the topic covered in the story throughout the week.
- Differentiated templates included. Please choose what fits best with your student's abilities and needs.
- The lessons and activities work great for after morning meetings or end of the day lessons, school counselors and classroom teachers, and children in K-2.
Don’t own a copy of a book? No problem! Safe links to video recordings of books being read aloud are included, as well as a book list of more books to use during your lessons.
TEACHERS LIKE YOU SAID…
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Barrie F. says, “This has been a great resource to reinforce being kind in my classroom! We love the books and activities that come along with it! Thank you”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Lisa H. says, “I loved that this resource had actual books to go with the lessons. Our class really liked the kindness pledge. Thank you!”
Why You Need This Book Companion:
- This children’s book was carefully chosen as it covers an important SEL topic we need to teach to kids.
- Read the book and use the lesson and follow-up activities to cover a week of SEL instruction any time of year.
- Facilitate meaningful discussions and keep kids engaged in important activities that build social and emotional skills and grow your classroom community.
- You are covering important English Language Arts standards and building children’s literacy skills.
- This resource provides engaging printable and digital activities kids will enjoy!
- Great for use during whole-group lessons, homeschool, and in one-to-one classrooms.
♥♥Love this book companion? The mind+heart Social Emotional Learning Book Companion BUNDLE is available at a SPECIAL DISCOUNT. Get your entire year’s worth of popular SEL children's book (40 included) lessons and activities to revolutionize your read-aloud time TODAY! ♥♥
Looking for more Social-Emotional Learning lessons and activities? Check out the curriculum that is needed in ALL classrooms -> The BEST-SELLING mind+heart curriculum available for K-2 and grades 3-5. This curriculum would make the perfect addition to your SEL instruction with the book companions included in this bundle!
Related SEL Products that work great with this resource!
Stay connected with Proud to be Primary
♥Click HERE to follow our store and receive notifications of new product releases, sales, and freebies.
♥Join our email list and get weekly teacher tip emails and access to our FREE resource library.
♥Visit our website at Proud to be Primary for tons of engaging ideas for teaching kids in the classroom!
♥Join our Facebook group and connect with thousands PROUD primary teachers like yourself.
Questions, suggestions, and feedback are always welcome.
Just use the “Product Q&A” tab and I will get back to you as fast as I can!
Please ask all questions before purchasing or email me at email@example.com.
©2013 to Present - Proud to be Primary - Elyse Rycroft