This product helps build toward a final essay for Octavia E. Butler's novel Kindred. Several assignments are included for the scaffolding of the essay, and include directions, answer keys, and example student work. The final essay itself includes the prompt, template/outline, and detailed directions (with an example essay).
Below are descriptions of the files included (more details included in the actual product).
1. Forms of Oppression.doc: This is the main document that students fill out AS they read the novel. They collect evidence on various forms of oppression and abuse that they see the slaves having to endure.
2. Forms of OppressionANSWERS.doc: includes an example of a filled out document
3. Forms of Oppression Student Example.doc: is a particularly well done student example that also includes additional answers not found in the “ANSWERS” doc.
4. QuoteIntegration Kindred.doc: Once students have completed the Forms of Oppressions assignment, they should then start practicing how to turn each entry into “mini paragraphs”.
5. QuoteIntegration Student Example: A filled-out student example of quote integrations.
6. Kindred Final Essay.doc: Includes instructions for the essay writing process. Requirements are noted, and an example template with focus questions are noted as well. If students just answer each question for each topic, they should be able to write a pretty thorough essay. There is an example body paragraph at the end for students to model after.
7. Example Body Paragraph.doc: This breaks down the example body paragraph into its parts, so that students can see how it’s related to previous assignments.
8. Kindred Essay Student Example: A mostly well done example of a final essay using the template given (with some different topic choices).