Struggling readers and dyslexics struggle with letter confusions (m/w; n/u; b/d; p/q/; t/f) and sounds (b, d, j, g, u, v, w, y, and short vowels). Kinetic Kid videos help kids use a different part of their brain so that they can learn these letters and sounds with automaticity.
SAMPLE VIDEO: https://youtu.be/6KLpPFDNXEA
What are The Kinetic Kid Videos?
• Students learn motions that mimic the letter’s sounds or letter shape.
• Learning all letter sounds (A-Z) is the first step in most Orton-
Gillingham programs and the key to success in fluent readers.
How many sounds are represented with letters A-Z?
• With these multisensory Kinetic Kid videos, there are 42 sounds.
How Should These Videos Be Used?
• Show ONLY one video each day.
• Always review previous letters.
• Several times a day, reinforce these sounds.
Once students know these sounds fluently, one can use these prompts during guided reading time. “Run your finger under that word. What other sound can that letter make? What’s the first sound? Second sound?”
Recommendation: Throughout the year, use these videos as a review.