Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
King Lear - Full Unit : This resource uses King Lear to teach close reading, comprehension, and analysis and is intended to prepare your AP Lit. or advanced students to comprehend and analyze the key nuances, symbols, and motifs in the text through discussion prompts, poetry pairings, creative projects, and more!
1. King Lear Pre-Reading Socratic Seminar/Anticipation Guide: This guide will introduce your students to key themes of the text, including appearance vs. reality, the goodness of natural vs. unnatural things, and the very nature of love. Every year that I've taught King Lear, these questions have helped prepare my students for understanding key themes of the text and allowed them to make meaningful connections to their own lives.
2. King Lear CLOZE Reading Activities (To Support Student Comprehension): This activity functions as both a review and formative assessment to ensure your students understand the plot of King Lear. Formatted like fill-in-the-blank passages, students must use their understanding of the text to identify which word goes where in this summary. It's a much more challenging activity than it first appears and is guaranteed to ensure your students understand what's going on in the play. 12 pages of CLOZE reading passages and answer key included.
3. King Lear Literary Response Journal: Revisiting the Ending (Geared towards upper level students/Advanced/Honors/AP): For hundreds of years, literary scholars have puzzled over the function of the dark ending of King Lear. Invite your students into this discussion and expose them to the historical background of this story through this journal entry about the real King Lear from Geoffrey of Monmouth and how his story played out.
4. King Lear Post-Reading Discussion Questions/Stations (Appropriate for AP Literature and advanced students): Guide your students towards deeper discussions and key themes of King Lear using these discussion stations and questions. Questions deal with the motifs of nature, blindness, appearance vs. reality, and more. This is an engaging way to challenge your students to pull the big ideas out of this text!
5. King Lear Family Tree (Free!): Help students track who's related to who with this resource.
6. King Lear Motif Culminating Project (Appropriate for AP Literature and advanced students): One of my favorite parts of reading King Lear is analyzing how masterfully Shakespeare toys with various motifs throughout his work and this project brings that analysis to the forefront. Appropriate for both AP Literature and regular students, students craft their own interpretive motif project that incorporates direct quotes and their own unique spin on the text.
7. King Lear Spotlight Reading Prompts (Appropriate for AP Literature and advanced students): These prompts are meant to be a low-stress way to introduce close reading and literary analysis into your study of King Lear. In my own experience, students are often overwhelmed by Shakespeare’s language and the sheer number of words on the page. This resource is meant to alleviate that sense of overwhelm. This resource highlights one specific passage at a time and encourages students to practice noticing unusual or interesting things that they might miss in the hustle and bustle of the first reading.
You can use these as journal prompts, bellringers, or simply as close-reading check-ins.
8. King Lear - AP-Styled Q3 Essay Prompts: Want your students to have more experience with AP-styled prompts, but don't where to begin? This resource includes three prompts modeled off of previous AP Q3 Prompts that will challenge your students to analyze big ideas and symbols of the text, as well as an AP rubric broken down by skillset.
9. King Lear - Poetry Pairings: Many of the key themes of King Lear extend far beyond the play itself. This resource includes four poems and analysis questions that pair nicely with some of Lear's themes: growing old, madness, truth-telling, and love.
Hope you enjoy! Please drop me a note if you have any questions or concerns!
How to Get FREE TPT Credit to Use on Future Purchases:
Want to be the first to know about store discounts, sales, freebies, and new products?
Let's be social! Come connect with me!