King and Queen of the Day: Use Student Names to Learn Letters (PROGRAMMABLE)
is a beginning of the year procedure for kindergarten and first grade in which we start our study of letters by using what is most important to kids -- their names!!
This is how I begin teaching letters during phonics time each year. King and Queen of the Day combines letter/name learning with community building activities.
1. Description of letter/name learning routines for the 1st month of school (depending on how many students you have) - each child's get to be the King or Queen of the Day.
2. Parent letter and Name Poster
3. King and Queen Songs
4. Colorful Alphabet cards to make your own Name Wall (like word wall, but for the most special words in the world - our names)
5. Name plates - (programmable) to put your students' names on the name wall.
6. King/Queen Wand Stars - to make wands for those special kiddos.
7. King/Queen certificates - you can send home as a souvenir of the special day.
8. Badges - you can use as necklaces or to make crowns.
9. King/Queen Memory Book - cover pages to choose from and page that the other children use to make a book for the special kiddo!
***This unit has been updated on July 11, 2017. I made some aesthetic changes.***