This novel study is meant to help you plan and teach the historical fiction novel Kizzy Ann Stamps by Jeri Watts. This unit plan includes teaching points, student handouts, and a check-point quiz for the novel. These resources will hopefully help you as you read this wonderful text with your students. Handouts can be used for whole class or independent work. All handouts are full sized but many have a "double" so that they can be copied two to a page for gluing into Reader's Notebooks.
This novel study includes:
- About the author
- Letter to the parents about the novel / Civil Rights Movement
- Reading level and summary of the novel
- Three weeks of suggested teaching points
- Kizzy Ann Stamps quiz
- General Historical Fiction novel historical fiction novel quiz
Handouts for Reader's Notebooks:
- Envision the setting of historical fiction
- Multi-tier timeline of important events
- Reading response prewriting
- Making connections
- Analyzing a character's motives
- Tone Words
- Tone of the novel "Prove It"
Thank you so much!