Kodaly Solfege Activity: Melody Mountain Interactive Bulletin Board
Are you looking for a handy visual for learning solfege with the Kodaly approach? Students find more success with audiation and ear training using a variety of approaches, including seeing interval distance and ascending/descending lines. The Melody Mountain Interactive Bulletin Board set is based off of an activity by the well-known Kodaly teacher Sister Lorna Zemke that helps make the connection of intervals with solfege visually and aurally.
The houses on Melody Mountain are for sale. Who will move in first? Which house will this person pick? The first house is so, and so likes it because they like to be right in the middle of the mountain. As neighbors are added, students will learn their "song", and help the solfas with their "Jam sessions", which utilize common songs sung just in solfege.
This was one of the first activities I would do with any class learning new solfege syllables. The students loved it and always wanted to know what was going to happen next in the story. Best of all, their recall on solfa and intervallic memory improved!
The activity set includes the following:
- House graphics in color and black and white, from low so to high do.
- A moving van graphic in color and black and white
- Optional solfege kids showing Curwin hand signs in color and black and white, from do to high do
- For sale signs in color and black and white
- Stories for each solfa syllable that is added, which can be modified. The stories connect with the location of each solfege "house" to help with recall.
- Suggestions for utilizing low ti, so, and la
- A list of when various solfa is recommended to be introduced, by grade
- Suggested song list and resources for the songs
• Melody Mountain with La Distance Learning for Google Classroom™
• For Distance Learning: Melody Mountain with So and Mi for Google Classroom™
• Melody Mountain "Do" Solfege Activity for Google Classroom Distance Learning
• Melody Mountain "Re" to Use with Google Classroom for Distance Learning in Music
• Melody Mountain Pentatonic Bundle for Use with Google Classroom
• Music Class Decor: Curwin Hand Signs for Solfege-Double Border
• Solfege Shuffle Singing Motivational Activity
• Practicing Fa: Bonjour, Mes Amis Boom Card Deck
• Practicing Re: Let Us Chase the Squirrel Boomcards Deck
• Singing Incentive: Vocal Football Interactive Bulletin Board