There are 10 different activities- and most can double as a whole class activity and small group activity.
Need a quick time filler, a substitute lesson, or an activity on kosher food that involves student participation, discussion, and fun, instead of just a slide presentation or packet that students watch passively?
Whether you need one lesson or a whole unit on kosher animals, whether you teach young or older students, you will find several activities on the topic of Kosher animals in this product.
This product has over 100 pages, and is choc-full of lesson plan ideas accompanied by amazing illustrations and photographs of kosher and non-kosher birds, fish, sea creatures, land animals, reptiles, bugs, etc... Each activity will engage your students in learning about kosher animals. For instance, my own daughter said she likes the game "Around The World". So, I made an "Around The World" game with animal cards - identifying kosher and non-kosher animals.
- Kosher Concepts to Discuss Before an Activity
- Activity Ideas for Your Lesson Plans
- Cattle Are Kosher sign (a page of definitions)
- Is It Kosher FAQs- Frequently Asked Questions from Star-K, OU and Kashrut.com
- Opening activity looking at photos of dinner (kosher dinner and non-kosher dinner)
- K-W-L Chart
- Answers for All Activities (a list of which animals are kosher and which are not)
- Guidelines For Identifying Kosher Animals – a summary of the Torah (Old Testament) text to be read as a class or aloud to younger students
- List The Kosher Animals Activity- make a list of kosher animals using the previous page of Guidelines For Identifying Kosher Animals and the animal picture cards.
- Add scales to make the fish kosher
- Cut-and-Paste: Add a ruminating stomach to the cow picture
- Illustrated Animal and Creature Cards for a clothespin activity or Around the World game. Each card comes with the words "Kosher" and "Treif" so that students can categorize the cards, use clothespins, make a list/chart in small groups, or play AROUND THE WORLD.
- Photographic Animal and Creature Cards for a clothespin activity or Around the World game. Each card comes with the words "Kosher" and "Treif" so that students can categorize the cards, use clothespins, make a list/chart in small groups, or play AROUND THE WORLD.
- Go Fish and Memory Playing Cards of Kosher Animals (illustrated or photographic version; both are included)
- Excerpts of the English Translation from the Torah/Old Testament Parsha Shmini, similar to Leviticus 11 (for older students) so they can read from the Torah/Old Testament text and discover which animals are kosher and which aren't.
- Worksheets with Printed Excerpts of the English Translation (for older students) and a place to write down which animals were mentioned in the Torah/Old Testament, and if they are kosher or not.
- Brain-Based Teaching Strategies list of ideas to enhance your teaching.
Teachers and parents need not complete every activity in the product. I give you several lesson plan ideas to fit your students' age group, your budget, your allotted lesson time.
- If you choose to complete all the activities, it will bring a student through the first four levels of Bloom's Taxonomy of higher order thinking skills.
- This is far more extensive than just showing a slide show or packet and expecting student memorization,as other web sites provide.
- I give you the tools you need to activate young minds, promote curiosity about kosher food, and start a conversation with peers and family, all the while learning.
Search terms- kosher, animals, creatures, Jewish, Judaism, Jewish law, parsha, parshat, Shemini, Shmini, Vayikra, kashrut, Leviticus, Torah, Old Testament, Bible, Torah Fair, dietary laws
Thanks for stopping by!
- FOLLOW my TpT store so you will find out when I have store sales and new products
- Earn credits toward other TpT purchases by rating products from your "MY PURCHASES" tab.
- To see all my store products, click on my store name- Brain-based Learning Hub.
- Let's connect on social media: Facebook & Pinterest