Are you looking for a fun way to teach similes and metaphors around Halloween? Do you want to help your students write cute Halloween-themed poems? Then this unit is for you!
1. Simile and Metaphor Sheet: Gives the definition and examples of similes and metaphors. Includes 15 sentences for students to identify the use of AND explain similes or metaphors.
2. Poem Analysis Sheet: Here is a short poem that contains 2 similes, 1 metaphor, and rhyming words.
3. Answer Keys
4. How-To Sheet: Students read the steps to writing a rhyming Halloween-themed poem.
5. Rough Draft Sheet: A rough draft sheet is included.
6. Close Rough Draft: You may have a student(s) who cannot write a poem on his/her own. This close activity will allow the student to circle the rhyming word at the end of each line that makes the most sense.
7. Stationery: Black-and-white stationery with a little monster graphic to color.
8. Standards: The 4th and 5th grade standards are listed.
I also created a Thanksgiving-themed version of this unit. Here is the link for that: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Thanksgiving-Poetry-Unit-Common-Core-TN-Ready-Aligned-2151599
Explain the meaning of simple similes and metaphors (e.g., as pretty as a picture) in context.
Interpret figurative language, including similes and metaphors, in context.