This fun resource will help your students learn about similes and metaphors around the holidays*! They will also have the opportunity to write a rhyming holiday poem... perfect for a bulletin board or display!
*I wrote this to be "religion-neutral" by focusing mostly on Santa and the elves at Christmastime. I would not want to offend any students or their families at such a special time of year! :)
1. Simile and Metaphor Sheet: Gives the definition and examples of similes and metaphors. Includes 15 sentences for students to identify the use of AND explain similes or metaphors.
2. Poem Analysis Sheet: Here is a short poem that contains 1 simile, 1 metaphor, and rhyming words.
3. Answer Keys
4. How-To Sheet: Students read the steps to writing a rhyming Thanksgiving-themed poem.
5. Rough Draft Sheet: A rough draft sheet is included.
6. Cloze Rough Draft: You may have a student(s) who cannot write a poem on his/her own. This cloze activity will allow the student to circle the rhyming word at the end of each line that makes the most sense.
7. Stationery: Two different sheets of black-and-white stationery with either elves or holiday cupcakes to color.
8. Standards: The 4th and 5th grade standards are listed.
Explain the meaning of simple similes and metaphors (e.g., as pretty as a picture) in context.
Interpret figurative language, including similes and metaphors, in context.