Common Core Language Centers for Standard L.5.4
Want a fun, easy way to review the Common Core Language Skills? This is for you! This pdf contains 8 ready to use language center games for the L.5.4 language standards of the 5th grade common core standards.
to see all of my Common Core Language resources including more Roll and Answer games, Supplemental Resource Packs, Weekly Reviews, and Task Cards.
All you need is 2 dice and maybe an expo marker! Laminate and cut and let the kids learn and have fun.
An answer key is included so the students can check their answers. However, due to the nature of the games, some of the answer keys are example answers.
Color and black and white versions available.
This can be a 2, 3 or 4 player game. The students can even play this independently. The students roll two dice, add up their number, and then find their roll on the game board. They answer the question, check their answer on the included answer sheet, and initial their square if they get it correct. I have included two different directions pages and a blank directions page for you to choose how you want your students to play the game.
The games are:
1.Determine the meaning of the underlined word using context clues.
2. Determine the prefix used in the word and determine the meaning of the prefix.
3. Determine the suffix in the word and determine the meaning of the suffix.
4. Determine the meaning of the root.
5. Determine the common root shared by the pair of words.Then write the meaning of the root.
6. Define the reference material and tell what information the source would give you.
7. Determine which reference material would best help you in these situations. (Assume the Internet is not an option.)
8. Determine if the word would be found on the dictionary page with the guide words: sabotage/sap
Common Core Alignment:
L.5.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
L.5.4.a Use context (e.g., cause/effect relationships and comparisons in text) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
L.5.4.b Use common, grade-appropriate Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word (e.g., photograph, photosynthesis).
L.5.4.c Consult reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find the pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases