Want a fun, easy way to review the Common Core Language Skills? This is for you! This pdf contains 7 ready to use language center games for the L.5.5 language standards of the 5th grade common core standards.
All you need is 2 dice and maybe an expo marker! Laminate and cut and let the kids learn and have fun. I have included a color version of the game and another version of the game without as much color if you do not want to use your color ink. An answer key is included so the students can check their answers. However, due to the nature of some of the games, two of them do not have answer keys.
This can be a 2, 3 or 4 player game. The students can even play this independently. The students roll two dice, add up their number, and then find their roll on the game board. They answer the question, check their answer on the included answer sheet, and initial their square if they get it correct. I have included two different directions pages and a blank directions page for you to choose how you want your students to play the game.
The games are:
1.Determine if the sentence contains a simile or metaphor.
2. Determine if the sentence contains personification or a hyperbole.
3. Determine the meaning of the idiom.
4. Determine the meaning of the below adage or proverb.
5. Determine if the pair of words are synonyms or antonyms.
6. Write a synonym and an antonym for the word.
7. Look up the definition of the underlined word. Write the definition that matches the way the word is being used in the sentence.
Common Core Alignment:
L.5.5: Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
L.5.5.a: Interpret figurative language, including similes and metaphors, in context.
L.5.5.b: Recognize and explain the meaning of common idioms, adages, and proverbs.
L.5.5.c: Use the relationship between particular words (e.g., synonyms, antonyms, homographs) to better understand each of the words.