In this lab, students will compare the amount of snowfall in Buffalo, New York to Albany, New York by constructing bar graphs.
Students will also:
- plot the latitude and longitude coordinates for these cities on a map of New York State to see how close Buffalo is to a large lake
- draw the prevailing wind direction across Lake Erie that causes lake-effect snow in Buffalo
- recommend essential items for an emergency preparation kit for homes
- recommend essential items for an emergency preparation kit for cars
- recommend ways to remain healthy while shoveling
- make real-world connections to how snowfall affects businesses
- hypothesize how lake-effect snow storms effected Native Americans and fur traders in the area in the past
A 15 slide PowerPoint is included with completed graphs, labeled maps, answers to discussion questions, and lake-effect snow videos.
*UPDATED 1/11/2016* This lab now includes 4 more discussion questions and the PowerPoint described above!
MY CLIMATE RESOURCES
Climate Worksheets *EDITABLE BUNDLE*
Climate Factor: Distance from a Large Body of Water (CR)
Climate Factor: Distance from a Large Body of Water (MC)
Climate Factor: Elevation
Global Wind Patterns
Climate Factors: Latitude
Climate Factor: Mountain Barriers
Lake Effect Snow
Notes Bundle Climate *EDITABLE w/ PowerPoint*
LABS & ACTIVITIES
Lab - Graphing Human Population Growth, the Greenhouse Effect, & Global Warming
Lab - Lake Effect Snowfall in New York
Lab - Ocean Currents and Coastal Temperatures
Lab - Elevation and Temperature
Lab - Coastal Influence on Temperature
Lab - Planetary Winds and Rainfall in the Tropics
Lab - Latitude and Temperature
Lab - Mountain Ranges and Rainfall
Task Cards - Climate
Note to Customer:
Click on the ★ above to follow my store.
Leave feedback to earn credit points to save money on future products!
This download is for one personal classroom use only. Duplication or sharing with other classrooms, co-workers, an entire school system, or posting on any website or blog violates copyright law. If your school, grade level, or department wishes to use this product, please purchase an additional license for each teacher at the discounted additional license price when you checkout. Thank you!