Langston Hughes Lesson Plan and Activities for Seven Poems with Answer Key
- Easel Activity
What educators are saying
Enjoy this engaging activity to study Langston Hughes's Harlem Renaissance poetry. Content, diction, imagery, and compelling messages about Black honor and pride are fascinating and relevant to your high school ELA students. The Harlem Renaissance was the time when Black Americans established a platform for their voices to be heard. Langston Hughes was the a prominent writer of the Harlem Renaissance. His poetry style and message portrays the plight of Black Americans and brings attention to the injustices that remain in the American society. No prep.
This resource is a study of seven important poems by Langston Hughes:
- “Let America Be America Again”
- “Mother to Son”
- “I, Too"
- “The Negro Speaks of Rivers”
- “The Weary Blues”
Printable PDF or TPT Digital Easel Activity
There are 34 pages in this resource:
- Brief biography of Langston Hughes
- Each poem study includes an annotation/highlighting activity for students to identify literary elements.
- Questions for analysis of content and synthesis.
- Some poems include references to outside sources, critics, and other writers, with questions referring to their observations about the poetry.
- Each page of annotation and questions has an identical page answer key.
- Culminating activity, ten questions that compare and contrast poems and ask students about Hughes’s message and motivation.
- Page of “Teacher Tips.”
- List of the Video Clips (with links) that I use in my classes.
- Attractive with clear font
- Relevant graphics
- Space for student responses
Please click on “View Preview” on the product page to see the entire resource.
Thank you for your consideration of this resource.
HARLEM RENAISSANCE BUNDLE Intro Presentation, Poet Presentations, and Research
Langston Hughes "The Negroe Speaks of Rivers" PRESENTATION
Harlem Renaissance Dynamic Powerpoint
Click here to browse all of my Harlem Renaissance resources:
Don’t forget to leave a review to earn credit toward future purchases.
Connect with me…
To follow my store and receive notifications
about new resources and store sales, click below:
O SOME GREAT STUFF FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS TPT STORE
Follow me anywhere and everywhere…
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter AND receive a valuable
free resource; click below:
Have a pleasant day!